Wednesday, April 4, 2012

But, I wanted ice cream!

I heard through the grapevine (aka: the high school hallways) that the new Dairy Queen was going to be open tonight!  Seriously, this new location is going to be just brutal on me, as it will test my self control many times over.

Below is the actual mileage from the new Dairy Queen, located at the Shoppes at Grand Prairie, to my garage.


The picture is a little blurry, but that's 1.4 miles.  Yeah, that's scary close!


So, I snapped the below picture of the new DQ and proceeded to the front doors.  As you can see in the picture there were balloons inside.  Balloons, I tell you!  There were people being served ice cream cake by Dairy Queen employees!  It looked like my own little slice of ice cream heaven in my own backyard. 


Then I read the sign on the doors: "Thank you for attending Dairy Queen's Friends and Family Night."  Huh, I'm a friend of DQ!  They sent Laura and I gift certificates as a wedding gift; after all, our first date was in a DQ! 

I thought I would test the waters and see if I could purchase some of  that sweet soft serve.    My sixty seconds in the new DQ went a little something like this:

"Mr. Olson!" exclaimed a couple of high school students.

I smiled, for ice cream was most certainly in my future.  "I saw the lights on.  You guys are finally open?"

"Yes, but it's Friends and Family Night.  We're not officially open yet," explained one of my students.

My jaw must of dropped, because she hurriedly added, "But, you can come back tomorrow!"

With that news I turned and slowly walked back to car... rejected and defeated.

Bummer.  There were B-A-L-L-O-O-N-S and ice cream cake!  Yet, no ice cream for me.  Man.  Kind of reminds me of the "Soup Natzi" episode on Seinfeld.   No soup for you!

Well, I'll have my ice cream . . .  I'm just going to have to wait another day.


EDIT: I enjoyed my first medium Oreo Blizzard at the new DQ the next day on my way home from work.  All is right in the world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment