Monday, August 13, 2012

Bobblehead Monday #8


Bobblehead #8
Name: Ryne Sandberg
Position: Second base
Team: Chicago Cubs
Description: 7.25 inches tall; traditional bobblehead pose: standing with bat.
Relevance: Sandberg was my favorite Chicago Cub during my first stint as a baseball card collector.
How Acquired: another eBay purchase!
Other Notes: Ryne Sandberg’s ’88 Topps Glossy All-Star card (pictured) was on the front of the first baseball card (rack pack) that I ever opened.  He instantly became my favorite player.  In fact, I tried out for second base in the summer of ’89 as an eleven year old with size eleven cleats.  I wanted to play the same position as Ryno, but the biggest kid on the team usually doesn’t play second base.  I was asked to switch over to third base and was okay with that move when I learned that Sandberg played the hot corner his first full year with the Cubs.
My baseball card collection currently contains over 500 different Ryne Sandberg cards and it’s still growing!

1 comment:

  1. My husband would love this. He has a ton of baseball bobble heads. I was thinking about getting him a custom bobblehead to add to his collection. I will have to send him this post, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete