Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Say it isn't so, Theo!


Last Friday night my friend Jim asked the Chiefs' owner, Rocky Vonachen, how the negotiations for renewing the affiliation with the Cubs were proceeding.  At the time Rocky had not heard anything from the Cubs and was disappointed to inform us that no one from the current front office had been down to visit Peoria this season. I didn't think that was a good sign for the future.

I can't imagine it was a good day for Rocky when multiple sources are reporting that the Chiefs might move to Kane County for next season.  For the record, Kane County is within easy driving distance of Chicago. So I see the appeal, but I don't have to like it.


Not the news that I wanted to hear.

From what I've read from different sources it seems that Theo & Co. can not formally make an announcement about switching to another location until the middle of September.  Naturally, the front office is trying to keep things on the down-low in the meantime.  #nocomment


Gosh, if the Cubs pull out of Peoria, what does that mean for my beloved Chiefs?  Would the Cardinals want to come back to Central Illinois?  Apparently, St. Louis' player development contract with Quad Cities also expires after this season. Yet, the Carinals seem to have a good thing going in the Quad Cities.  

Other MLB teams in the Midwest League who have expiring player development contracts are the Twins, Rays, Athletics, Angels, Mariners, Reds, Padres, Royals, Blue Jays, Diamondbacks, and Brewers.  There's always an outside chance of another MLB moving in to the Midwest League as well.

Only time will time.

Here's how I hope it plays out, with #1being the one I'm crossing my fingers for and #5 being the absolute worst possible scenario for this baseball loving fan:


I was hoping to make my own Shawon-o-meter!
1. Theo re-ups with the Chiefs and I get to see Albert Almora, Dillon Maples, Shawon Dunston Jr., and Dan Vogelbach in Peoria next year!
2. St. Louis replaces the Cubs in Peoria.  Well, it's not the Cubs and I'm not a fan of the Cardinals, but this is next best possibility in terms of keeping the interest level high of those attending games in the Peoria area.
3. Still affiliated with a major league team, but I won't really feel invested watching future Reds or future Athletics.
4. An independent league baseball team takes the field.  This would be a huge blow to the Chiefs' franchise.  A big step in the wrong direction for baseball in Peoria.
5. Bradley Baves baseball is the main attraction at Peoria Chiefs Stadium.  What would I do on a gorgeous summer night?
Vogelbach: he hist mammoth home runs!
#1 pick from 2012 June draft.

Dillon Maples, top pitching prospect in low minors.
I will say this: my man crush over Theo Epstein will be officially over the second he moves the Cubs out of Peoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment