Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Trade with Emerald City Diamond Gems

Larry at Emerald City Diamond Gems contacted me about my Seattle Mariner cards when I was trading off lots to the blog-o-sphere.  I sent Larry somewhere between 175 to 200 Mariners and told him to send back something that he thought was fair.

Yesterday I found a package from the great state of Washington in my mailbox and I ripped right into it.  There were some 2000's  and 1990's represented, but they were in the minority.  The majority of the package was Chicago Cubs from the 80's, 70's, 60's, and 50's!  I don't have much from the latter three decades, so this was a treat!

Additionally, there were four 1988 Topps cards to help me with my set completion.  I'm not down to five cards.  Please, check my want list and see if you can help me out.

Here's my favorites, from dustiest to shiniest, with commentary:   

Oddly enough, the oldest card in my collection before the package from Larry arrived was a 1959 Topps Lou Jackson.  Huh, now I have two of Mr. Jackson and one John Buzhardt to complement him.

 1960 Topps rookies Dick Ellsworth and Bob Will.
 
1961 Danny Murphy.  I have no idea who Danny Murphy is, but the card is over fifty years old!  Cool!

 1967 Topps Randy Hundley and a Rookie Stars card of Bill Connors and Dave Dowling.  Randy Hundley was the catcher on the '69 Cubs and still hosts a fantasy camp every spring.  Bill Connors ended up being the pitching coach for the Cubs during the 80's and 90's.  Dave Dowling pitched one game for the Cubs in 1967 and it was pretty special: a complete game win in which he gave up only two runs.  Coincidentally, that was his last game in the majors.  I'm sure there's more to this story.











1979 Topps Bruce Sutter.

1986 Fleer Dennis Eckersley.

1987 Fleer Lee Smith and Greg Maddux Rookie.

So, the last four cards were all notable pitchers in their day.  Two were exclusively closers, one a starter, and one spent a little time as both.  Together they earned 691 wins, 1,168 saves, 27 All-Star selections, 6 Cy Young Awards, 1 MVP Award, and Maddux will soon be the 3rd member of the group to enter the Hall of Fame.  Lee Smith is still eligible.

 I thought I had all of Mark Grace's rookie cards.  Wrong!  Here's the 1989 Topps Glossy All-Star card.

1990 Score Dream Team Mitch Williams.  Wild Thing was my mom's favorite player back in the day!  I'm not sure if it was the long hair, his boyish looks, or the fact that he pitched as those his pants were on fire, but Mitch Williams was her favorite!

A new Ryne Sandberg card to add to my collection!  Woo-Hoo!  It's from 2004 and produced by Fleer. Oh, and it's shiny.  I love me some shiny.

2010 Upper Deck Bobby Scales.  Bobby's a grinder, who made his major league debut at the age of 31, and he is currently terrorizing Triple A pitching in the Mets farm system.  He'll find a way back to the majors, because that's what grinders do. 

Thanks for a great trade, Larry!

1 comment:

  1. You could always count on Mitch Williams to add some extra excitement to a Cubs game. That's why I liked him... PLUS, I have always liked the song "Wild Thing." It's by The Troggs (no doubt a one-hit-wonder group), and it dates back to 1966 when I was in 8th/9th grade. Momma

    ReplyDelete