Saturday, October 13, 2012

Should've Been a Chief #5

*** This is post #1 of 5 featuring my favorite young Cubs prospects who should have been a Peoria Chief in 2013.

Player #5 - Shawon Dunston Jr. - Outfielder

The 'Jr.' at the end of the name probably gives it away, but he is the son of former #1 draft pick and shortstop of the Cubs, Shawon Dunston, Sr., who just happens to be a favorite player of mine. I was able to pick up Jr.'s autograph on Ebay a little while back, and now I have my first father & son autograph cards!

Shawon was drafted with the 11th pick in the 2011 draft and he made his professional debut in Boise this year and finished the season in Mesa.  I followed Dunston on Twitter for a while (@DonnyDShay333), but the guy blew up my Twitter feed and I had to drop him.  He has a lot to say, most of it is baseball related, and he seems like a pretty good guy.

The main reason he makes this list is two-fold:  
      1) I think he has the talent to potentially be a solid lead-off hitter 
      and 
      2) I would have loved bringing the Shawon-O-Meter to Peoria Chiefs games, doing quick math after each at-bat of his, and posting his new average for all to see.  

The original Shawon-O-Meter was a fixture a Wrigley Field for a span in late 80's and early 90's.  My friends and I would have loved cheering him on with the hopes of seeing his average rise. Oh, the fun we could have had!

Good luck with your career, Shawon, and I hope to see you playing with the Kane County Cougars in Peoria soon!




** For the record, I have no idea who the Cub fan is holding the Shawon-O-Meter sign with Dunston.


2 comments:

  1. I recently started following Jr on Twitter myself. He's pretty entertaining although I wish he was a Cubs fan. He seems to openly root for his hometeam Giants (where his dad ended his career and currently coaches) which I guess is understandable. Hopefully, the Cubs of the near future can give us all something to cheer for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised that the mis-spelled (?) Shawon name lives to see a second generation. Maybe we should have named you Tawom? Sorry--couldn't help myself! Love & Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete