Sunday, February 3, 2013

Trade with reader mrhaverkamp

After my last post about my 1978 Topps project a reader by the name of "mrhavekamp" dropped me an e-mail:
 
 "Hi Tom……...you’re getting so darn close to subject set I was motivated to go through a box of dupes and found 3 from it for you."

He's a Giants fan and has a player collection of Mike Schmidt.  Although I couldn't help in the Schmidt department, I packaged off some Giants from my 2012 Topps Archives and Panini Triple Play stacks.

Behold, these beauties arrived in the mail yesterday:

#4 - Brooks Robinson - Hall of Fame, MVP, 16 time gold glove third baseman, and 15 time All-Star selection.



I really like this card as it is in "well-loved" condition.  Those who have followed my chase of the '78 set know that I started my set with eBay purchase of a shoe box full of dinged-up cards, and Brooks is going to fit right in! 

#10 - Phil Niekro - Hall of Fame, 5 time All-Star and gold glove pitcher, and 300 game winner.

Crazy as it sounds, Niekro's '77 season on the back of the card is the first of four consecutive years in which he would lead the National League in losses.  He received Cy Young Award votes in two of those four seasons.  It must have been tough to be a Braves fan in the late '70s.

#401 - Sparky Anderson - Hall of Fame, two time Manager of the Year, and 2 time World Series Champion.


Sparky was only 61 when he last managed in the big leagues, but I always thought he was much older.  Perhaps his white hair threw me?

My 1978 Topps want list is now down to five cards, which includes three more members of the Hall of Fall, a 283 game winner, and the Minnesota Twins team checklist. Check out my want list and help a blogger out!

Mrhavekamp, I greatly appreciate your assistance toward what will be my first "vintage" complete set!
Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment