Monday, March 23, 2015

Off Hiatus Delivers My First 1/1 Ryno

Just a few moons ago I sent Tony an overdue return package for some sweet Cubs goodness, and just to prove that he is Off Hiatus he's filled my mailbox again!  His posts are some of the craftiest around the blogopshere. My posts, for example, fit into the "look at me and my cards" genre. Whereas Tony seems to be struck with inspiration and his posts actually have . . . <gasp> . . . themes!  I really enjoyed this recent post on the number 300 and I think you should check it out as well.

Let's start off first with one of the two single cards in Tony's most recent package:

I have a Mark Prior from this set in my Cubs FrankenSet, mostly because having a box score on a baseball card is pretty unique.  What I failed to realize until now is that the back of the card states the box score is from an actual Baseball Weekly publication.  That's not a major draw for those individuals looking for mojo hits, but for someone who grew up reading baseball weekly it's pretty cool to have its newsprint framed in a card.  Mmmmm... nostalgia.

For what it's worth, Bobby Hill was about as highly touted in the early 2000's as some of the Cubs' current prospects are now.  Gulp.  Jim Hendry, the former general manager, did manage to spin him and Jose Hernandez into Kenny Lofton and Aramis Ramirez though, who were both integral parts in the 2003 playoff push.

Next up some sweet Parker Bros. Starting Lineup Talking Baseball cards.  In fact, an entire Cubs team set!


These guys are an odd shape at 2 5/8" by 3" and they are so 80s. (For the record, that's a good thing.) Tony talks more about them here. There are some great names in this set too, and some that I had forgotten all about.

And hey, there's a Ryne Sandberg to add to my collection!

Speaking of Sandberg cards...  I'm now up to 755 unique cards in my modest little collection and this is my first 1 of 1!

You may be thinking, "Why, that's nothing more than a 2013 card from Topps Tribute."  And, you would be mostly correct.  It's difficult to tell from the picture, but there's a "Topps Vault" emblem lightly embedded on the front and the back is . . .

Blank!  Pshaw, that's cool!  Yes, I said pshaw and I meant it. 

I'm not sure how I'm going to pay Tony back for this sick mojo, but Brewers cards are definitely on my radar again.  As is the regular 2013 Topps Tribute card of Sandberg.  How in the world do I now own the 1/1 blank back, but I don't even have the regular base card?  Maybe someone should revoke my Sandberg collector's license.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad that Ryno got to a Ryno collector. I got to see "The Daily Double" -- Bob Dernier and Ryno -- at a game at Wrigley in that magical and yet snake bit 1984 season. It was an August game -- Baseball Card Day, in fact -- and the Cubs finished off a 4-game sweep of the New York Mets that day. It was great, and the Cubs were my NL team before the Brewers swapped to the NL, but Ryno needed a home where he would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was turned onto baseball a few years earlier then I, too, could have watched the Daily Double. Thanks again for the awesome package, Tony!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff from Tony! But the Ryno?? My gosh, that's incredible! Tribute is beautiful anyway, but man what a card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. People gushing all over the Ryno and I'm over here thinking about how gloriously unique that Bobby Hill box score card is. I've never seen that set before. Something to keep an eye open for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that box score card really struck a chord with my younger collecting self. I'll keep an eye out... if I find a dupe it's all yours!

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I'm in the Bobby Hill card is the coolest camp. I looked up the set and was browsing COMC - there's a Mark Prior card, but alas, for me, no Twins with little newspaper relics. I'll have to custom make one...
    Very cool trade package!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cool thing about the Bobby Hill card? It was in a $0.25 box at my local card show... :-)

      Delete
    2. I have the Mark Prior card! Maybe I have the team set then? Woot!

      Delete