Here's what we're trying to save:
Here's what I'm using to catch the little
I will not be naming the chipmunks like I did with the raccoons, because that will just be too much work. I will be giving updates on the blog as to how many I have caught, because there's a contest involved!
Here's my ground rules:
1. I will bait and trap chipmunks all summer long, except for the fourteen days when I will be out of town.
2. For a chipmunk to be successfully counted as part of the Chipmunk Relocation Program it must be relocated. (I state this obvious rule, because I have trapped one already today that managed to find its way to freedom. I was trying to use a 5-gallon bucket to store the chipmunks so I could relocate multiple rodents in one trip, but I found it somewhat difficult to transfer the agile little guy from the trap to the bucket. Did you know a chipmunk can jump out of a 5-gallon bucket before I can place a lid on top?)
3. For the purposes of this contest, the total number of chipmunks I have relocated by 8:00am on Monday, August 15th, will be the winning number.
What you need to do:
1. Leave a comment predicting the number of chipmunks I relocate during the summer. The closest guess wins.
2. In the event of a tie, please guess the number of other creatures I catch with the chipmunk caviar. (This may include rabbits, birds, squirrels, raccoons and stray cats. For the record, the rabbits, squirrels and raccoons will also be relocated.)
3. Just in case I need a second tie breaker: Predict how many wins the Cubs will have on the morning of August 15th, 2016. (From my count the Cubs will have played 116 games by August 15th, not including any rain-outs.)
4. Everyone must have their entry submitted within 10 days of this post. No entries after 6/15/2016 will be allowed. One entry per blogger, please. I will not make any updates on my totals until after that date to give everyone a fair shot.
2 other animals
73 Cubs wins
When we moved into our current house during the summer of 2008 I trapped SIXTY chipmunks, because they were burrowing tunnels along the foundation to our house and we were afraid that water might get into our basement. I also inadvertently caught two squirrels.
I have not trapped any since, they have let nature take its course and they seem to be everywhere. They are running through our yard to the neighbors on every side of our house. If things go according to plan, then everyone around our house will notice a drop in the chipmunk population.
The contest won't end until August 15th, so let's give away a blaster of the latest and greatest baseball card product on the shelves at my local Target at that time. It might be A&G, Topps Chrome, or perhaps Topps Bunt. (It will be a Topps product, because I know how some of you feel about licensed products.)
Short video of the guy that got away:
Good luck to you in the contest and thanks for reading.