Thursday, December 28, 2017

Part 18: Vogelbach on 2017 Cardboard

I'm still hunting multiple websites for Dan Vogelbach cards which have eluded me during the 2017 baseball card collecting year, but the chase is finally starting to slow. I figure by the time I finish this series of posts we'll be counting down the days for 2018 Topps Series 1 to hit the shelves.

I'm going to go in chronological order from the first cards produced to the most recent. Each post will contain all of the Dan Vogelbach cards I've acquired from that set and I'll make a short mention of the ones I'm still on the look out for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 18: 2017 Panini Chronicles

Panini Chronicles looks like a really wild box rip. The set is comprised of many notable sets from Panini's past, such as Absolute, Spectra and Gold Standard. You can purchase a box for around $80, which includes four autographed cards and some lower numbered parallels.
During my first trip through the hobby I always favored the "Rated Rookie" cards. So naturally I was pretty stoked about adding a Vogelbach in this format to my collection. I guess I've always been a bit of a prospector at heart.
I purchased a three case break of Chronicles on Ebay and my gamble was rewarded with the pink parallel, numbered to 25, shown above.

I think Panini did am admirable job selecting a photo where the absence of logos isn't immediately noticed. The helmet is at an angle where the logo wouldn't be entirely visible and Vogelbach's right arm is blocking a sizable portion of where "Mariners" would be found on the chest.
I've been able to secure the gray bordered card and the much more aesthetically pleasing gold press proof. Very nice.

2017 Panini Chronicles Haves (4):


2017 Panini Chronicles Needs (7):
#237 - Panini Chronicles (Aqueous Test Proof), #/50 - acquired 1/6/18 via Ebay
#237 - Panini Chronicles (Artist Proof), #/10
#237 - Panini Chronicles (Press Proof), #/5
#237 - Panini Chronicles (Printing Plates), 1/1 (4 plates total)

Chronicles is one of the few sets where I still feel I have some work to do. I'm working hard on tracking down the Aqueous Test Proof and I'll snag it eventually, but the rest are very low numbered and many never see my collection. Only time will tell.

Only one more Vogelbach on 2017 Cardboard post to go!

3 comments:

  1. I thought I saw blasters of Chronicles at my local Walmart which would put them in the $20 range but maybe I was mistaken.

    I recently spent some time looking through recent Donruss base on tradingcarddb for Ivy photos and they do a pretty good job with the photo selection in terms of minimizing logo exposure. On the other hand, looking at a bunch at once, you can see how limited their shots are and you have a lot of similar looking cards.

    As a one-off player collection though, these are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are most definitely correct on how Panini has to limit their photo selection, but they a pretty solid job with their hands tied.

      Delete
  2. At last, a different picture of the Vogelmonster.

    ReplyDelete